01 July 2005

I'll take Mississippi euphemisms for a thousand, Alex

Shake 'em on Down and Long Haired Doney, two blues songs that I like and listen to when I'm in a blues-listening mood.

Just off the top of my head, Shake 'em on Down (aka Shake 'em Down) has been covered by Albert King, Fred McDowell, and R.L. Burnside. There's probably others, I'm sure. Burnside also does a very good Long Haired Doney. A song that Fred McDowell likewise recorded, but I've never heard his version of it.

Now to the point. If you listen to the first song, Shake 'em on Down, you don't need a lot of imagination to figure what that song is about. But, I'll be darned if I know what a Long Haired Doney is. I've even Googled it, still no luck.

So, if any Mississippi Hill Country folk happen to stop by and knows what a long haired doney is, would you please share that bit of info with me?

2 comments:

Hill Billy Rave said...

That sure beats me, but, it sounds cool. Get Along Lil' Doney.

Ramblin' Ed said...

I think it has more of a Deliverance connotation, as in "Doney look good enough to squeal like a pig".