01 May 2005

May Day! May Day! May Day!

Nah, not that kind of Mayday, no in-flight emergency going on here. But May Day, the 1st of May. A day the Commies like to march on or for dancing around the maypole by English peasants, or for some, prancing around the square by the local Morris Dancers. Of the three, I always thought the Morris Dancers the more entertaining.

For those of you who haven't had the chance yet to go to Gloucestershire, or likely never will, don't fret, we've Morris Dancing right here in the good ol' USA. Check it out!

1 comment:

Ramblin' Ed said...

I was reading the comment you made on Appalachian Intellectual's blog and went on over to your blog too. I noticed you listed Scots-Irish as an asset of yours and thought I might share this with you. It is from my blog, but that is just a statement of fact and not a shameless plug. My blog is something you read if you're not particularly concerned about being informed or entertained. Anyway, the original post has a link to James Webb's website and his book about the Scots-Irish and how they shaped, and continue to shape, America. Here's that post:

The Scots-Irish
I am Scots-Irish. My family as far back as I know, which is Great-grandma Abernathy and Great-grandma Dillard, and a way lot of distant uncles, aunts and cousins, all came from mountianous Virginia and rural North Carolina.

This article, excerpted from the book Born Fighting, How the Scots-Irish shaped America,(http://www.jameswebb.com/articles/parade/bornfighting.htm) was enough to really whet my appetite. I have ordered the book. Hardcover, for I intend to keep it and re-read it often.

Enjoy the article above. Pay special attention to the sections A CULTURE OF CONTRASTS and REDNECKS. Neither is cliched or derogatory, and both made me start to understand more about myself, my family and our upbringings. Like I said, for me this was strong stuff and made me want the book to get the full story, unabridged.

Travelin' Ed