06 January 2008

Hold the nitrites, please

I don't want to come across as some whole-grain snob, but we don't do prepared meat products. Occasionally we'll do some lean beef or roasted chicken but even those are the exception and not the rule at our table.

It's not a PETA thing with us. It's a health issue thing.

However, there is one exception. The 2 or 3 times a year we find ourselves in the state next door, we always try to find a diner that serves the classic West Virginia hotdog.

It's a regional thing, you'd have to live around here to understand it. :-)

2 comments:

Ramblin' Ed said...

One thing I still love is going down to Dairy Queen and getting a foot long chili dog. OK, that's not really true. I normally get two. I don't think they have named a state after it though.

Anonymous said...

Like I said, it's a West Virginia thing.

Sorta like gumbo, I guess. You speak of gumbo you generally associate it with Louisiana.

I guess the West Virginians are trying to garner a little more claim to fame with something other than coal and Robert C. Byrd.