01 September 2007

And they don't talk back, either!

What'll they think of next? Cardboard Kids.

I recall somewhere in my travels you topped a small hill on I-?? in the state of ?? and there was the silhouette of a state police car sitting sideways in the median about a 1/2 mile away. All you saw was dozens of brake lights from the others who'd just topped the hill in front of you.

In fact, you yourself stepped on the brakes to slow it down a bit. But no ticket tiday. It was a full size plywood cutout painted in the correct colors. But you didn't realize it until you got almost on top of it.

True story, honest. It might have been I-70 in Indiana or maybe Missouri, I can't really be for sure.

3 comments:

Ramblin' Ed said...

In WWII didn't we have a whole cutout army stationed in England to fool the Germans away from Normandy?

Seems they were plywood tanks, telephone ploles with wheels to simulate artillary, and 2D plywood planes (because looking down from a recon plane you could not tell that they were 2D).

Actually, I know this is true because I saw it literally hundreds of times on an AFRTS "commercial" while stationed overseas.

Gun Trash said...

It always amazed me that here we were, the baddest a** military in the world. The military with the biggest budget. The military with the most brains and what acronym do we use for our military radio and television service? One that sounds like we're passing gas.

Overall I liked AFRTS and the Stars & Stripes. I have to credit AFRTS in the P.I. to introducing me to the blues. I had never heard of B.B King until then. 1969? or thereabouts.

Gun Trash said...

In fact, R' Ed, I found this bit of camoflageorhoweveritsspelled bit of history.